At my last OB visit the day before my due date, an ultrasound was done and it indicated that our daughter was weighing in at 9 lbs. I had been feeling fine. Some swelling in my feet for a few weeks but everything else was good. I had still been working full time. Due to what the US showed, it was recommended that I have a C-section. It had never really crossed my mind that I may need a C-section. I thought my difficult decision was going to be if I was going to have an epidural or try to do it completely naturally. I was not afraid of labor. I had been having Braxton Hix contractions for a number of weeks, at times they were pretty regular. This news of a C-section blindsided me in a way. I had gone to the appointment alone since I thought it would be fairly routine. I ended up calling Chad and he came up to talk with the doctors as well. Essentially, it was said that for the health of the baby, it was recommended. They were particularly afraid of shoulder dystocia. We ended up scheduling the C-section for December 11, 2013.
That day we woke up and made sure we had everything we needed. I was scheduled for surgery at 1:00 pm and to be at the hospital at 11:00. I was to not have anything to eat or drink after midnight. So mean for a pregnant lady to have to wait all day! We got to the hospital and checked in. They started an IV. The doctor came in and talked to us about the surgery. He explained a few other ratios that were seen on the US that increased the risk for shoulder dystocia and by the end of talking with him, I was comfortable with going ahead with the C-section. Chad was in the OR with me after they had the spinal in place and I was prepped. I didn't feel anything but when they were getting her out I did feel some pressure on the top of my stomach. We heard that wonderful first cry. They showed her to us briefly and then took her to the warmer to get cleaned up. I was not able to hold her due to the IVs and things but Chad put her over to me and I was able to give her her first kiss. We named her Hannah Marie and she weighed 7 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches long born at 1:44 pm. She was perfect. I admit that I was a little disappointed that she was not 9 lbs and felt that I could have had a natural childbirth but I was able to get over that quickly. She was here and healthy and that was all that mattered. I went to recovery and Chad went with her to the nursery.
Once I was released from recovery I was taken back to the room where I was finally able to hold my daughter and try to get her to eat. Eventually we allowed our family to come into the room and meet Hannah. It was a great day and I was happy to finally have her in my arms!
 |
| Loretta and Barry with Hannah |
 |
| Jan and Kim with Hannah |
 |
| Barry, Kim and Loretta with Hannah |
 |
| Jim, Kim and Jan with Hannah |
 |
| Kristy came to visit and meet Hannah |
 |
First family photo
|
 |
| Jill came to visit as well |
No comments:
Post a Comment